Monday, March 4, 2013

Comforter Up-Cycle

My old jean comforter had seen better days. It was ripping at the seams exposing the stuffing inside and was beyond repair for use as a comforter as originally intended. The idea of simply throwing it away didn't appeal to me because of the massive waste so I decided that an Up-Cycle project would be more fitting. It was Oh-So-Soft after years of loving use, so why not give this old worn out comforter new life?

This was my weekend project.



First I separated the jean fabric at the seams and removed the stuffing.





Then I cut 1-2 inch strips of fabric lengthwise and tied the ends together with loose double knots.



Once I had a long strip of fabric knotted together at the ends I used the largest crochet hook I could get my hands on and began working away. I started by making a chain of 4, joining to the first chain with a slip stitch then began working 2 single crochets into each chain around as needed. There is no set pattern, I just eyeballed it to make sure I was increasing the circle enough with the varying width of yarn that I had. To start off I had 2 SC's in each chain, then as the circle grew I alternated 2SC and 1SC in each chain.




The cats love the finished project! Its thick and soft and just big enough for one of them to enjoy at a time. I did not worry about neatly tucking away and hiding the loose knotted ends. I let them stick out in whichever way they fell naturally because the bed actually looks pretty neat that way. Plus its an added bonus since the cats seem to like playing with the ends as an extra cat toy.

Im sure this project would work with all sorts of old fabric. Sheets, blankets, comforters, throws - you name it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment